In petrochemical and coal processing plants, hazardous chemicals are routinely transferred through a variety of equipment located in the plant. Neglecting to prevent or stop a leak in the equipment can be extremely detrimental to plant operations, putting the health of employees or safety of the environment at risk. Taking immediate action can be the deciding factor in preventing a potential tragedy.
Upon inspection, the exhaust flue for burned hydrocarbon gas in a petrochemical plant was determined to have both a leak in the housing and damage to the fan blades. This flue gas leak was allowing hot gas (approx. 150ºC / 302ºF) to release in the wrong location creating a potential hazard to the plant integrity. This resulted in an emergency repair to the exhaust flue. Although welding is commonly used on these types of repairs, this process is costly and time consuming during a state of emergency at the plant.
- Sandblasting the repair area white metal occurred first. Then the area was cleaned with Devcon Cleaner Blend 300, to further eliminate any grease or oil contaminants on the metal surface.
- Devcon Flexane 80 Putty was applied to the prepared area leaking and bonded to the different flange areas, providing a leak proof seal.
Devcon Flexane 80 Liquid was applied to the fan blades to repair the worn areas and to provide added protection from future damage and wear.
Fast, Easy and Safe to Apply
- With Devcon Flexane 80 Liquid and Putty, the coal plant exhaust flue was returned to service within one shift effectively and quickly repairing the hazardous gas leak and saving the coal plant time and resources.
Lower Repair Costs
- Repairing the exhaust flue through welding can be hazardous, and a costly, time-consuming option, requiring additional welding materials and a permit.
- Devcon Flexane 80 Liquid and Devcon Flexane 80 Putty can be applied with minimal safety equipment and PPE.
- Devcon Flexane 80 Liquid and Putty is a safe, cost-effective repair solution that reduces costly downtime and other potential hazards.